What do we do?
Foster care, also known as Alternative or Out of Home Care, provides Children and Young People, referred by the Department for Child Protection with a safe, nurturing and stable home to live when it is not possible due to the risk of emotional/physical harm for them to live at home with their Parents or Family. It is then that an alternative place to live and a nurturing Foster family is needed on an Emergency, Temporary, Long Term or Respite Care basis.
As a licensed Foster Care Agency, UCSA:
* Recruits new Foster Care families/households who are willing to provide Respite, Emergency, Short or Long Term Care for Children and Young People aged 0 to 18 years
* Completes thorough assessments of potential Foster Carers using the latest assessment package endorsed by the Department for Child Protection
* Provides mandatory and ongoing training for potential and existing Foster Carers. Within the program we have qualified trainers able to present workshops on Child Safe Environments, Therapeutic Crisis Intervention, Infant Safety and Shared Stories, Shared Lives-Foster Care Orientation.
* Receives and considers placement requests from the Department for Child Protection, and works closely with the Child or Young Persons caseworker from the Department for Child Protection and a registered Foster Carer, to ensure a positive placement where the Child or Young Person can be supported to flourish and reach their full potential.
* Supports Registered Foster Carers on an ongoing basis. Registered Foster Carers are allocated a Foster Care Support Worker and receive ongoing support to provide the best possible care for Children and Young People until they reach 18 years of age or until it is possible for them to safely return to the care of their biological family.
* Provides 24 hour, 7 days a week on-call support for Foster Carers.
Key Funding Source
Uniting Country SA (UCSA) receives funding from the Department for Child Protection to provide and support foster carers.
Would you like to help?
UCSA are seeking single people and couples, with or without children to provide loving and stable homes. Please contact us if you are interested and feel you have the following qualities:
* readiness to seek help
* ability to work as part of a care team
* patience and tolerance
* ability to hang in there when the going gets tough
* sense of humour
Who can you contact?
Please contact our Recruitment Officer, Sandra Fuchs for more information on:
Phone: 1300 761 477
Manager Foster Care Service
Phone: 08 8633 9025
Team Leader Foster Care Service, for any Foster Care Support enquiries
Phone: 08 8633 9026
Where are we based?
With our head office and Foster Care Program staff located in Flinders Arcade in Port Pirie we also have experienced staff located throughout the region in Port Augusta, Kadina and Clare.
What areas do we cover?
Port Pirie and surrounding areas, Mid North & Yorke Peninsula, Port Augusta and the Far North.
Referral of children and young people to the program is from the Department for Child Protection only.